Bay Bridge Row To Start 2020
Saturday, January 4, 2020
The first Saturday of the new year was a perfect day to row – cool air, clearing sky, and no wind resulted in smooth waters out into the Bay. A few days before, one group of BHS rowers had headed out to the eastern span of the Bay Bridge, but there were more rowers who wanted to go than the number of boats that can travel on open waters would allow. A second trip was arranged, and on this morning 8 enthusiastic rowers showed up early in the morning, put boats in the water, and headed off. Coaches Brandon and Marie followed in launches, shouting encouragement and guiding the boats through the port. One lucky parent went along for the ride.
The port was empty and still. There was only one container ship nearby, and due to the lack of wind, sailboats stayed in the docks.
The trip out to the bridge took about an hour, with a few rest breaks along the way. The round trip was almost exactly 19,000 meters – more than most practices!
We took a rest break on the way back at the estuary mouth, and one or two harbor seals took an interest in us, trying to climb on board the boats. Then, as we neared Jack London Square, the 10 a.m. ferry headed out, its wake being the biggest waves we experienced on the trip. All in all, a great way to start off 2020!
Time for the holiday sprints!
Saturday, December 21, 2019
Jack London Aquatic Center, 8 a.m. to 12 noon
The Holiday Sprints are an opportunity for our Crew Alumni to come back and row with the current BHS Crew.
If you are alumni and you want to row, please arrive at Jack London Aquatic Center (115 Embarcadero, Oakland, CA, see map) by 8:15 a.m.
The first races begin at 9 a.m. After racing, there will be a festive buffet provided by the team parents. Even if you do not wish to race, please come on by to eat and meet the current team and coaching staff.
Thanks! See you there!
Head of the port results
This past Sunday, Oct. 13 2019, Berkeley High School raced at Head of the Port, winning our priority events and taking home a number of 1st place Head-of-the-Port 1st-place mugs.
- The BHS women's varsity eight won.
- The BHS 2nd women's eight not only beat the other 2nd eights, they beat all the other varsity eights.
- No other team entered a 3rd women's eight, but if they had ours would've beaten them.
- The BHS men's varsity four won.
- The BHS 2nd four beat the other 2nd fours and all but one of the 1st fours.
- BHS also took 2nd place in the women's four, men's double, and women's double.
Full results here.
It was a good day. Next race for us is Head of the American at Lake Natoma on Saturday, October 26th, 2019.
Men's Assistant Coach
Fall 2019 Racing Schedule
Updated: October 1, 2019
Ready for another exciting year with the Jackets?
Come cheer the team on at the following venues (subject to change as the details are ironed out):
- October 13, 2019: Head of the Port of Sacramento (Port of Sacramento) - Varsity Only
- October 26, 2019: Head of the American River (Lake Natoma)
- November 10, 2019: Head of the Lagoon (Foster City Lagoon)